Monday, November 03, 2003

The Weekend Rap Up

Saturday, I tried to clean my room..really I did.. but when J came in and said get dressed, he wanted to go eat the pull of free food I didn't have to cook was too much to ignore. Unfortunately, we ended up at KFC. I hadn't been there in a long, long time, and I wasn't impressed. It was okay, it was just mediocre take-out chicken. I would have preferred Jimmie's Chicken, but they were closed.

After we ate, we then went back out and headed to the grocery store. We needed to pick up a few things, and while we were there, J bought himself a new DVD player for 44.00. It's nothing special, but it works. What do you expect from a DVD player you bought at the grocery store? We then decided, in honor of the new playah, to boogie over to Blockbuster and get some stuff to watch. We wanted The Hulk and the shelves were empty, but one of the employees found us one in the return box, so we ended up being able to get it Yeah! They were having a three for $10 and change special, so we got Charlies Angels Full Throttle and one called Dreamcather, I had never heard of. Turns out, it's a Stephen King book adaptation. Who knew?!

We headed home, and after much bitching and whining and difficulty, he managed to get the DVD player hooked up. He put it in my room so we could watch them on my TV, since its bigger and newer and my bed is more comfy. We turned off the lights, snuggled up, and put in the Hulk.

THE HULK: If you haven't seen it, you didn't miss much. I didn't hate it, I was just expecting more from it. I love comic book super hero type stuff, Batman, Spiderman, Superman, Xmen, I have them all and love them, but this one I just couln't get into. The style was annoying, the beginning was very slow, the plot was a little confusing. There just wasn't much to get excited about. The only part I really did like was watching the Hulk bounce around. He was big, VERY big, and that sucker could jump and move. Amazing how when he changes, his shirt and everything else fall away, but his pants expand to fit him, with just some tattering, and then shrink back down to normal size when he changes back. LOL To be fair, I was really tired when I watched it, and I'm going to watch it one more time to make sure it was really the movie, of if I was just too tired to follow it properly, before we bring it back.

Next, we watched



CHARLIE'S ANGELS FULL THROTTLE: A good time was had by all.


starring Cameron Diaz as Natalie Cook; Drew Barrymore as Dylan Sanders; Lucy Liu as Alex Munday; Bernie Mac as Jimmy Bosley; Crispin Glover as Thin Man; Luke Wilson as Pete; Matt LeBlanc as Jason; Demi Moore as Madison Lee; John Forsythe as the voice of Charlie


Think of Full Throttle as a big-screen version of a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. The Angels are nearly naked, in bikinis and low cut clothes, a lot of the time. Almost makes me wish I was a lesbian, so I could fully enjoy it, but it was fun just the same. In an effort to steal a bad guys identification badge, the barely clothed trio take to the stage as dominatrixes in an S&M club. Along with other "Pussycat Dolls," the angels whip, spank, gyrate, lap dance and pole dance their way to his ID. While speaking of surfing, but loaded with innuendo, Natalie explains to a one surfer guy that she enjoys it "hard and rough." When Alex finally levels with her dad about her career, he interprets her words as an admission to being a bisexual call girl, specializing in group orgies. Trying to be supportive, he says, "Whatever makes you happy!" , its too funny.


As for plot points: The new identities of every person on the Federal Witness Protection Program are encrypted on two silver bands. Only as a result of these rings being united can the information be accessed. Fallen Angel Madison Lee, played to perfection by Demi Moore, is a great villain, and she looks wonderful.
When it's not about skin, Full Throttle is about fists. Kick boxing. Punching. Karate chopping. Plus sword fights, gun battles and bombs. Bodies, bullets, motorcycles, cars and helicopters fly, flip, twist, explode and crash. Occasionally, the action is slow-mo, Matrix style. Just plenty of good ol' ass-kicking fun!

Amazing how Natalie can find bird poop on a bumper, and immediately analyze the contents of it without benefit of a lab. At one point, they break out of a sculpture naked, after smuggling themselves into the bad guys warehouse, Trojan horse style, and later, threes the obligatory disco dancing Natalie scene, and her Underoos make another appearance.. in the men's bathroom stall, no less.
If you are expecting a serious movie with a believable, serious plot, you won't be impressed. But if you want to watch some half naked beautiful women do some serious ass kickin', and catch the bad guy, in between S&M shows, motorcycle racing, fist fighting, kung-fu action, disco dancing, and managing their friendships and their love lives, watch this one.


The surprising movie was:
DREAMCATCHER: I expected this movie to be scary. It looked scary on the cover. We didn't to watch this one until tonight. I was going to watch it last night, but J went to bed on me. so, true to scary movie debut viewing protocol, I had to wait until tonight to see it. The rules of first viewing of a scary movie are very simple:

1. You must wait until dark. 2. You must not watch it alone, cuz you will be scared, and need someone to grab on to and hide your eyes. 3. You must watch it with lights off.


Consequently, I had to wait til he could watch with me, and until it got dark.
I didn't think I"d like this movie, cuz it's scary. But it wasn't really gory scary, though there are some gory parts, it was more a psychological thriller type thing.
"Four young friends perform a heroic act by saving a young retarded boy "Duddits" from bullies, they become friends with the boy, and are changed forever by the uncanny powers they gain in return. One of these powers is the ability to read people's minds, and communicate telepathically with each other. Years later, strange things start to happen, and on a hunting trip in the Maine woods, they are overtaken by a blizzard, a vicious storm in which something much more ominous moves. While two of the group head to get supplies, the other two stay in the cabin and one of them finds a man wandering outside in the snow. He brings him in and gives him food and lets him warm up, and he notices something strange. His chest looks kind of inflated. Later, it moves to his abdomen, and the man starts farting and burping with some putrid smelling stench. He also has a rash that starts on his face and grows, and he doesn't look too good. They decide that he should go take a nap. I won't tell you what happens next, but all I'm saying is "shit weasels". Its really gross, but I thought it was kinda funny. All I could think of watching this part of the movie was what we 'round these parts call "brewing". When you eat something that doesn't sit right, or something like corn, that makes your stomach start gurgling. You're gassy and you know it's just a matter of time before you'll have to make that mad dash to the bathroom. Yes, I know, TMI, but it's what it reminded me of. As the movie progresses, you meet Mr. Gray, again I'm not giving it away, and Morgan Freeman as the military guy gone kinda nuts, hell-bent on stopping the alien invasion.


To quote one Amazon reviewer" "I also felt that the film's use of flashbacks was a great technique for heightening the interest and filling in prior knowledge. The flashbacks were much more interesting than say just coming out from the beginning and explaining the clairvoyant aspects of the 4 main characters, and Duddits. As the plot progressed we began to fully understand what their powers were and how they came to possess them. The military portion/concept was perhaps a little clunky but necessary for the advancement of the plot. The plot was so interesting that I was able to forgive the slight clunkiness"


It was especially interesting to me also, because the Quabbin reservoir, in Massachusetts, plays a part, and I've been there many, many times. That's where West Springfield gets its water from, and they have great water in West Spfld. We used to hang out up there once in a while and party and stuff in our teens.
This is one those movies where things that you don't think will be really important, turn out to be important in understanding what's happening. All in all, it was an interesting movie, and I enjoyed it. I would recommend you watch it, if you like this kind of movie.


No comments: