Tuesday, December 02, 2003

Can't Hardly Wait...


Woohoo! Just ordered myself a present from Amazon..just because! I ordered Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas on DVD, and I can't wait for it to get here. I haven't seen this movie for several years, but I had watched it every year for many years on HBO when they would play it. My brother had recorded it one year, and we had it on VHS, but the tape got ruined, so I haven't been able to see it since then, and HBO stopped playing it. It's a muppets movie, done by Frank Oz and with songs from Paul Williams, with a "Gift of the Magi" type theme. Emmet and his Ma living in Frog Hollow are poor, and Emmet's Pa is dead. Ma takes in laundry and sewing to earn a living, so the washtub is their bread and butter, and Emmet does odd jobs.. anyway, I don't wanna go into the whole plot bit by bit, but Emmet and Ma want to buy each other gifts and have no money, and each sacrifices something for the other so they can get something. One of the best parts of the movie is the songs.. I looooove the songs in this movie and for days after I see it, I'm walking around the house singing "Oh, your nails won't break and your toes won't stub, You'll never get a fever when there ain't no hole in the washtuuuuuuuuuuuub" or "the sauce mama makes will stay there forever if ya ever get it under your naaaails..Barbecue!" Then there's the Riverbottom Nightmare Band..comprised of a Bear and snake and a weasel.. I think its a weasel.. and they sing the Riverbottom Nightmare Band song in the pageant .. good stuff! This will go on my shelf right next to Santa Clause is Coming to town, Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer, Year Without A Santa Clause, Frosty The Snowman.. and all the other gotta-see Christmas movies. I haven't pulled any of them out this year yet, but I won't be long now before I'm hitting the couch with some hot chocolate and a plate of cookies and a whole lotta animated Christmas goodies!

A jugband update! Made Up News.com

When The River Meets The Sea
written by Paul Williams

When the mountain touches the valley
All the clouds are taught to fly
As our souls will leave this land most peacefully
Though our minds be filled with questions
In our hearts we'll understand
When the river meets the sea

Like a flower that has blossomed
In this dry and barren sand
We are born and born again most gracefully
Plus the winds of time will take us
With a sure and steady hand
When the river meets the sea

Patience my brothers
And patience my son
In that sweet and final hour
Truth and justice will be done

Like a baby when it is sleeping
In its mother's loving arms
What a newborn baby dreams is a mystery (a mystery)

But this life will find a purpose
And in time we'll understand
When the river meets the sea
When the river meets the almighty sea

No comments: