Sunday, February 08, 2004

Another Day..Another Smoking Appliance

Last night, I attempted for the second time since we've been in this house to cook something in the oven. Yeah, I know we've been here for 15 days now..shut up! We've been eating out a lot, and I've been cooking stuff like grilled cheese and spaghetti.. mostly stuff that doesn't require the oven. The reason for that was, because the first time I attempted to cook something inside the oven, it nearly blew up. Okay, maybe not blew up, but it sure smoked a hell of a lot. It was awful! I tried to bake some chicken our third or fourth night here, and shortly after I put it in the oven the house was full of smoke. I thought maybe I had put the temperature up too high or something. There was no way to tell, because by the time I got to the kitchen, J had already turned it off, but I had to finish cooking the chicken, so I made sure the temp wasn't too high, and put the chicken back in.. followed by more intense smoking. Sooo..we figured maybe the oven needed cleaning. I'm sure Dan didn't cook much, so he probably didn't even notice there was anything wrong with it. It's self cleaning, so we followed the directions and let it run through the cleaning cycle. Then, we couldn't get the oven open. It was locked, and wasn't gonna budge for anything. Wasn't that special! Finally, the next night, J and John somehow managed to get it open. I was a little leery of it, so continued to just cook stuff that could be made on top of the stove or in the microwave for a few more days, until finally, I was down to some chicken and frozen pizza, both of which needed the oven.. so, no choice but to make another attempt at using the oven. Well, guess what.. it smoked even worse this time. The house filled with very intense smoke, and it smelled horrible and burned my lungs...I had to open the doors and most of the windows. Of course, I couldn't open the doors until I tied Belle up, to make sure she didn't take off, and I had to hold my breath to stop from dying of smoke inhalation, until I could get the doors open. It took a while, but eventually the smoke cleared out, and I threw the chicken in a pan and finished cooking it on top of the stove. So, now John and J are on a mission to try to get us a new stove today. I don't know how they plan to do this, because I don't know how much cash J has, but I'm sure it's not enough to buy a stove. At least I don't think he has that much. Dan said he'd come over sometime during the week and try to fix this stove for me, but I don't know if I trust it now. I think I'd feel better with a new one. Either way, I need to get something done with it, because I can't continue to cook everything on top of the stove. Most of the meat I bought yesterday probably could be done on top of the stove, but I don't think J's fish sticks will taste as good grilled as they do baked. Then again, ya never know. I could discover a whole new taste sensation...errr..or maybe not.

No comments: