Friday, February 13, 2004

The End!

I did something this morning I haven't done in a looong time. No...not that! Well..actually, that too.. but that's not what I'm talking about. Cuz, really, that's private. No, today I finished A BOOK. I finished Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire this morning. I have been reading that book off and on for probably eight months. I know.. that's a long time to finish a book..but I just never seem to have time to read anymore. I would pick it up and attempt to read it, but my favorite reading time has always been at night in bed, and for the longest time, since I usually work nights, and I'm busy doing exciting things during the day.. like blogging, for instance.. by the time I crawl into bed, I just am too tired to finish more than a page or two. I used to read a couple books a week, easy (in my pre-internet days). Then I didn't read anything for a long, long time, because there just wasn't time, and I fell out of the habit. I love to read, and I missed it. I started reading the Harry Potter books when I had custody of Eric, and I loved them, so I read them all, but this last one just took me forever to get through. It's a big un', ya know. This past two weeks, with Jen here every day hogging my computer, I have nothing else to do for the five hours a day she's here but watch T.V. or read in between checking her work. I picked up Harry Potter three days ago and started reading it, and lo and behold I'm done. Bad thing is, now I'm sad. It's over! I reached the end! It's time to move on to the next book. That's what I forgot about reading..I hate when I get to the end of a book I love. I start a book, I get into it, I get emotionally involved in the story and the characters..and then it's all over. I want more. I don't want to say goodbye yet! On the one hand, I'm happy to see how it all turned out, and see what happens. Does true love triumph? Does the bad guy get caught? Does the hero triumph in the end? On the other hand, it's finished and I have to put the book down. There's no more! I want MORE! That's why I love series, like Harry Potter, and the Vampire Chronicles.. you get to hold on just a little bit longer. I've got a whole stack of stuff in the on deck pile waiting to be read, like Anne Rice's The Blood Canticle, Earagon, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, The Five People You Meet In Heaven, The Time Traveler's Wife, The DaVinci Code...and about 15 more. I don't know where to start!

No comments: