Friday, March 19, 2004

I have been having a seriously hard time getting any work done this week. Between the family being here, and running around visiting with them, and the fact that I have, for some reason, been unbelievably sleepy this week, I'm getting nowhere. Tonight, I had every intention of sitting here, buckling down, and getting some work done, but we ran out of toilet paper earlier today, and I had no choice but to go get some. For normal people, that would not be a big deal, and I could have run out to the store and come back and just gone about my work, but not for me. On the way out of the store, J decided he was hungry, so we decided to head to Denny's to grab something to eat. I didn't feel like cooking. I had been thinking more along the lines of Taco Bell to go and take it home to eat, but then I figured what the heck. What could it hurt to take an hour off to go sit and eat some real food and relax a bit. That ain't how it went. John was on the phone with his new girlfriend, Amanda, who he met online and hooked up with sometime last week. She's 21 or 22, he's 19, and she works for corrections here in Jacksonville. He mentioned to her that we were going out to Denny's and in the course of the conversation, somehow it ended up with J deciding to pick her up and bring her out with us. That wouldn't be a problem, except she lives out in BFE..about 30 minutes out of our way. Off we went to pick her up, and got out there about 11:30 p.m. She didn't believe us when we said we were coming, but she found out soon enough they weren't lying. She lives in a part of town that is mostly farm country. Way out in the middle of nowhere. There aren't even street lights out there. We almost hit a possum. J decided to be funny and turn out the lights in the car and drive in the pitch dark. He came pretty darn close to running over someone's mailbox and into a ditch. That's when he turned the lights back on. The whole night was like flashbacks of when I was about 20 or so, when me and my friends would jump in my friend Wes's car and head off for parts unknown. We'd just drive out to the middle of nowhere and just drive and drive until we got tired of riding around. "Midnight adventures" that's what we called them. We'd usually stop at Dunkies and get some donuts and drinks and stuff, or a convenience store. We ended up in Vermont one night, and Boston another. Wes used to like to find dark, unlighted roads and turn off the lights too. That's some scary shit to be riding in places where it's so black you can't see the road in front of you, with no lights on in the car, and usually through some dark woods or something, where there's nothing but trees everywhere. Woods full of bears and serial killers. Fun, fun, fun! Sometimes, when we weren't riding through the woods in the dark, we would find someone driving around and follow them, just to freak them out. Once in a while, we'd get lucky, and the occupants of the other car would figure out we were following them, and start following us. It was usually some other people our age stupid enough to be out joyriding at 2:00 a.m. too. We'd play car tag, chasing each other all over town. We were lucky we never met up with some hot head with a gun who got pissed or scared and shot at us...or called the cops on us. We didn't do it to single women driving alone, or anyone with kids or anything, usually just guys, and especially guys who looked about our age. Yeah, we weren't too bright, but we had a damn good time. That was a long, long time ago. Anyway..we had a pretty good time tonight overall. Amanda seems like a nice girl, though she's a bit redneck. Then again, so is John. The two of them were flirting back and forth, and talking about sex and stuff...there were definitely a couple of TMI moments. I really didn't need to know about my nephew's sex life, but what can ya do. It was close to 2:00 a.m. by the time we got home, and now that I'm home and wasted all that time, I have to be up til the butt crack of dawn trying to get my work done. It's my own fault, I guess. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

No comments: