Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Damn the DST..

I'm slowly recovering from the whole Daylight Savings Time thing. You wouldn't think one measly hour would matter all that much in the course of your day, but dang it, it really does. Losing that one hour of sleep really messes me up. I guess it's because your body feels like it usually feels at a certain time during the day, and yet when you look at the clock it's actually a whole hour later than it "should be". So you don't just lose that one hour at the actual time of the changing, you lose hours here and there all the time until you adjust to the change and stop thinking it's 6:00 when it's really 7:00. This is especially prone to happening when, say, you forgot to turn your kitchen clock ahead, and you wake up at 5:00 in the afternoon, thinking that it's actually 5:00, and that you've only napped 1-1/2 hours, but then you sit down and turn on the T.V. and see Friends is on, and realize that it's really 6:00..and you've slept 2-1/2 hours..there goes another dang hour I just lost!! Damn the DST! I have a love-hate relationship with DST. On the one hand, I love the fact that it stays lighter later in the day, cuz I love the sun being out. Going outside at 7:00 p.m. and having it just beginning to be dark out is great. It kinda reminds of being a kid, and being happy that the sun was out later cuz we had to be in when the street lights came on. As soon as that started happening, you knew it was ::this:: close to being summer, and pretty soon we'd be uncovering the pool and it would be warm enough to swim and stuff...and school was that much closer to being done. The excitement is somewhat diminished now, since I no longer get the summer off and I don't own a pool..yet..but the feeling is still there. But.. on the other hand..I hate giving up my hour. After 37 years, you'd think I'd be used to it by now.

No comments: