Thursday, May 13, 2004

Hmmmm

I'm sitting here at my desk this morning, getting ready to get some work done. I really should be in bed, since I went to bed about 5:30 a.m. and got woken up at 7:00, but that's a whole nuther post entirely. Anyway, my point. I look to the left of me on the wall and see a flashing light reflected on my wall through the windows behind me. Being the nosy busybody that I am, I turned around and looked out my window to see some city workers across the street at the corner, taking down the street sign. They took the pole out of the ground, unscrewed the STOP sign from the pole, put a new STOP sign on the pole, and then changed the street signs and replaced them with brand spankin' shiny new street name parts...you know, the part with the actual street name on it, and then they put the sign back where they got it, packed up, and went about their merry way. The whole thing took about 20 minutes from the time I noticed them out there. Why is this significant, you ask? Because..there wasn't anything wrong with the sign that was there. It looked fine. It wasn't faded or bent. Noone has crashed into it and mangled it or anything. I've never seen workers do this before, and now I wonder if they are going to be doing this to all of the signs in town, or in the neighborhood even, and who requested it to be done. How often do they send city workers around to change perfectly good signs with new ones? I think it's a sign they either have too much money to waste, or too many city workers with nothing really useful to do.

No comments: