Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Supersize Me

I'm awaiting the release of this Supersize Me movie. I'm not sure if I'll go to see it at the theater, or if I'll wait for the release of the video, but I definitely will watch it. The thing is, I've been watching the promos for it, and the features on talk shows and the news and stuff, and it just amazes me. I just finished watching one, as a matter of fact. They say he gained 24 pounds in 30 days, his liver filled with fat to toxic proportions, and his cholesterol shot up through the roof. That kinda makes you think, or at least it should. I don't eat at McDonalds often (though I did today), I tend more towards Taco Bell or pizza, but it's pretty six of one, half a dozen of the other. Wherever you choose to eat, when it comes to fast food, if you do it to excess, you're gonna gain weight, unless you exercise enough and counter act the behavior with enough healthy behavior to balance the scales. The thing that most interests me is that the spur for this movie was a lawsuit filed against McDonald's by two teenage girls who were obese. How the HELL can anyone blame the fact that they are fat on the place they choose to eat their meals? Noone ever claimed this stuff was diet food, or even healthy. It's fat, salt, and goo..what do you expect to happen when you gorge on it. If I choose to go to Dunkin Donuts every day and eat donuts 3 meals a day for my meals, and wash them down with Cokes or Coolatas, or whatever, and don't exercise enough to compensate, when I gain a half a ton, how could it possibly be anybody's fault but mine. It just amazes me to what extent people refuse to be accountable for their own actions these days. I think that part of the problem is that so many people are so used to things being regulated and monitored, and that if it wasn't good for you, or if it could possibly harm you, it wouldn't or shouldn't be allowed to be available to the public. If it wasn't good for you, they should have to write it out in a detailed warning on the all of their products, and post signs saying "Warning, you idiot, eating a diet that consists mainly of salt, fat, and goo will make you unhealthy and fat" How about, if people actually are required to use their brains and some common sense, and figure it out that a diet consisting mostly of fast food and crap may be a bad idea. If you sit on the couch and eat, and don't exercise, and watch TV 24/7, you will be fat. You can't blame your choices on anyone else.

No comments: